Monday, March 21, 2011

'Trying to be Jordan ruined my life': Teenager tells how bullies made her life a misery for idolising model

By Daily Mail Reporter


A teenage beauty queen who at 15 longed for breast implants in an effort to be like her idol Jordan says trying to imitate the glamour model ruined her life.

Sophie Brown, of Durham, started modelling aged 14 and regularly used fake eyelashes, nail extensions and spray tan to get closer to the distinctive look of Jordan, who has gone back to being known by her real name, Katie Price.

But after competing in beauty pageants and making public her desire for cosmetic surgery, Sophie said she began to feel pressure to make it big and became a victim of cyber abuse.

The 16-year-old, from Bishop Auckland, County Durham, said at one point the bullying got so bad that she wished her life would end.

On one internet forum she read that someone wanted to punch her and was regularly taunted as being a ‘Jordan wannabe’.

She said: ‘Idolising Katie Price was definitely the worst thing I have ever done.

‘I really felt like I needed to felt like I needed to get away from being known as a Jordan wannabe as it - and she - ruined my life.

‘I know I should not hate Jordan for this but I feel if I got all this stick and pressure put on me at such a young age, what is idolising her doing to others?’

When she turned 16 Sophie decided she had to leave behind her old life, stop modelling, give up on trying to be Katie Price and just be herself.

She said: ‘I did not want to be known as me because I felt as though people hated me for being a Jordan wannabe.’

Sophie has now gained some weight and changed her look, she also earned good GCSEs and started an apprenticeship with a legal firm

Since then Sophie has gained some weight and much self-confidence.

She earned good GCSEs, has started an apprenticeship with a legal firm and enjoys acting and dancing.

Her grandmother, Shirley Nelson, is delighted at the turnaround.

She said: ‘She always used to be Jordan this, Jordan that.
‘Now she is not and she is a lot more confident than she was.’

Sophie recently returned to modelling and finished third in the Miss Community UK contest and is in the running for the Miss Teen Great Britain competition.

She hopes her story will serve as a warning and an inspiration to other young girls.

She said: ‘I want to show girls my age that we do not have to look like an idol to make something of ourselves - we just need to be us, not someone we are not.

‘I hope I can bring something unique to the world and make something just for being me.’



Source:dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment